First let’s dive into the basic facts about this great migration.
- Almost 2 million wildebeest accompanied by zebras and antelopes migrate to Kenya’s (Masai Mara) from Tanzania (Serengeti and its environs).
- The animals travel for over 800km during each migration cycle.
- Over 200,000 wildebeests die and over 30000 zebras during the migration cycle because of predators, exhaustion, thirst and other natural occurrences.
- The birthing season is between January and march. February is the peak calving period where around 8000 wildebeests are born in a day.
- The peak of the migration is usually between July and October.
- The migration is considered one of the seven wonders of the world.
(A video captured during the 2020 migration)
The herds move in a clockwise direction, from the south of the Serengeti, through the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, the Loliondo Game Controlled Area, and the Grumeti Reserve. They leave Tanzania for Maasai Mara in Kenya, which borders Serengeti National Park to the north, before heading back south in early October when the rainy season in Tanzania is commencing. In the Mara River, they are preyed on by deadly predators i.e. crocodiles. They also encounter other carnivore predators including lions in the plains.
The great migration attracts thousands of people from around the world who gather to witness this magical event which has been regarded as ‘the greatest show in the world’.
The Masai Mara has a number of accommodation options during your stay; from camps, lodges a that are priced depending on your budget.
Masai Mara is not only famous for the wildebeest migration it is also home to a variety of other animals including the big five and tons of other wildlife. The Masai Mara is also surrounded by the Maasai people where you get to experience and learn more about their traditional culture and ways of life. Therefore, visiting this reserve is a lifetime adventure.
At Entice Africa Safaris, we offer diverse package options starting from a 2-day package and so forth depending on the time you would like to spend and your budget. We also offer combined packages.If you want to traverse around other national parks, reserves, sanctuaries or conservancies such as Lake Nakuru National Park, Amboseli and much more.
Want to plan or book a safari? Reach out to us for inquiries or further consultation.
CONTACT US ON:
Phone: +254727723343 | +254799871255